Supported Internships are programmes that offer people with a learning disability or difficulty who are aged 16-24 years old and have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, the opportunity to get practical, work-based learning experience. It is tailored to the individual needs of the young person to develop their skills, and helps provide them with a smooth transition from education to paid employment.
A Supported Internship is a partnership between Wirral Met College and an employer. The employer and the intern are fully supported by experienced College job coaches.
Supported Internships help employers create a diverse and vibrant workforce, enhancing public image as a leader in employing people with disabilities.
Take a look at some of our success stories from the Supported Internships programme.
Benefits for the employer
- Improved workforce morale
- Customer goodwill
- A flexible, productive recruitment process to help fill gaps in your business
Benefits for the intern
- Raises their aspirations
- Builds skills and confidence
- Better understanding of employment
- Shows employers what they can do
- Progress towards paid work