Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This is part two of the L1 BSL qualification and is a continuation from the Introduction to Signed Communication (Z061). It will enable students to progress to the formal Level 1 examination.
The Level 1 Award in British Sign Language is designed to enable students to communicate with deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL). A range of topics are studied that involve simple, everyday language use. It provides an introduction to BSL and is suitable for all students.
Topics and Content - Mandatory:
- Meeting people (identifying common courtesies and information, understanding simple question forms, and the fingerspelling names & places)
- Work, school and/or college (identifying types of work or educational institutions, occupations or courses being learnt, length of time worked or number of years in school/college, eg. final year)
- Using numbers (use of local numbering systems for counting people, things, telling the time, age and currency variants)
- Weather (identifying comments about the weather and seasonal variants)
- Instructions and Directions (being able to understand instructions and directions of what to do/where to go/how to do something)
- Opinions and Ideas (understanding the difference between facts and ideas/opinions in simple descriptions or statements)
- Use of simple linking conventions and prepositions (i.e. use of sign structures linking words and phrases)
- Signing Structure (understanding placement, use of verbs & phrases, non-manual features, sign order, handshapes, direction, orientation)
- Completion of British Sign Language Level 1 part 1 (Z061).
- Communication skills - You will need to be able to follow instructions and work as part of a group.
- English at grade 2/E GCSE or above or equivalent.
- Maths at grade 2/E GCSE or above or equivalent.
- Satisfactory interview and assessment.
- If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
The course requires you to attend on a regular basis, concentration is required to practise signs during home study.
This course, along with Z061 which is the earlier part of this qualification, is aimed at complete beginners: together they make up our one year BSL1 programme which prepares learners for BSL2 study the following year if they wish to go further with signing.
Starting 6th September 2021 - Ending - 7th February 2022
|Monday||12:00 — 15:00||Conway Park|
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £280.00
Many College courses are free, if the course has a fee we will ensure that you receive 100% of any subsidy or funding available to you.
For more information on fee subsidies please visit this page - How much will my course cost? or call 0151 551 7777 to speak to our Student Services Team.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support visit this page Bursaries and Loans for more information. We also allow payment by instalments in some courses. We can advise you when you enquire.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 21/22.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form