Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
A Supported Internship is a partnership between Wirral Met College and host employers. It is tailored to the individual needs of the young person to develop skills in order to gain paid employment.
Supported Internships are programmes that offer people with a learning disability, or difficulty aged 16-24 years old, the opportunity to get practical work-based learning experience providing a smooth transition from education to paid employment.
Supported Internships offer a range of benefits, helping people with learning disabilities or difficulties to raise their aspirations, build skills and confidence, gain a better understanding of employment, show employers what they can do and progress towards paid work.
All applicants must have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) or apply for one in order to attend at this level.
The course is geared to students working at Level 2.
Applicants should be capable of completing a successful work experience placement.
Applicants should be motivated to want to exit education and enter paid employment at the end of the course.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Benefits to the employer
- The employer and the intern are fully supported by both the College and experienced job coaches.
- Supported Internships help employers create a diverse and vibrant workforce, enhancing public image as a leader in employing people with disabilities.
- Employers will benefit from improved workforce morale and increased customer goodwill.
- Supported Internships offer flexible, productive recruitment process, filling gaps in your business with staff who will be a real asset.
- Employers will have the benefit of additional help in the workplace.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
This course is FREE if you are aged 19+, unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits or in work earning less than £17,550 annual gross salary (or £9/hour), and you do not have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).