Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed to equip you with the knowledge, understanding and skills required for success when moving towards a career in the uniformed and non-uniformed services, for example, police, emergency fire services, security, prison services or the armed services.
You will study the following: Core units:
- The role and work of the public services
- Working skills in the public service sector
- Citizenship, society and the public services
- Crime and its effects on society and individuals
Optional units may include:
- Employment in the public services
- Public services and community protection
- Health, fitness and lifestyle for the public services
- Community and cultural awareness
- Adventurous activities in the public services
- Sport and recreation in the public services
- Land navigation by map and compass
- Employability skills in the public services
- Preparing to respond to emergency incidents
- Security procedures in the public services
Relevant Level 1 qualification or minimum of 3 GCSEs at Grade 3/D or above. Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
You will be required to wear a polo shirt and combat trousers for college lessons and a standard kit including a sports T-shirt for sport.
Course work. To be discussed at interview.
You will be required to contribute financially to some of the cost of trips, visits and residentials, although these will be kept as low as possible. More information will be given at interview.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
This course can be a stepping stone for successful candidates towards entering initial employment as, for example, a police community support officer, an army soldier or a Royal Air Force airman/woman. Entry to any of the public or private uniformed services, further education. Opportunities exist to progress onto the Edexcel National Diploma in Public Services.
Explore potential careers via Career Coach, it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 05th Sep 2018 - Ends 28th Jun 2019
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £1025.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 24th May, 2018 and may be subject to change.