Our aim is to provide impartial information and advice to young people in Years 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13, their parents and guardians, about the full range of education and training opportunities available.
We are keen to work in partnership with secondary schools to support them to meet the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks*, ensuring they have an embedded programme of career education and guidance that is known and understood by students, parents, teachers, governors and employers.
To find out more about our Schools Liaison Service, take a look at our leaflet.
What we offer:
- Assembly Visits, Talks Or Presentations
We can provide an overview of the opportunities and benefits of studying for work-related qualifications at the College, linking to local job opportunities and careers across the Liverpool City Region.
School students can ask questions about courses, careers and the range of learning and financial support we offer. We can also focus talks on particular topics you require, such as apprenticeships or higher education / Degrees & Foundation Degrees available at College.
- Interactive Careers Workshops
Workshops can be customised to meet your needs but may include identifying personal interests, strengths and weaknesses, researching potential careers, apprenticeship or job opportunities, and starting the application process.
- College Campus Tours
Tours of college campuses can be customised to meet your students’ specific needs. Tours give them the chance to visit specialist facilities, meet tutors and current students including the opportunity to observe teaching and learning as it happens.
- Taster Sessions
We can provide career taster sessions at our College campuses which include interactive, hands-on experience of job-related courses using our specialist facilities eg Nursing, or Medical Science. Alternatively, we can provide industry day / taster sessions at your school. The aim of our tasters is to inspire young people to explore their interests and learn more about careers they may have in mind.
- Support With Student Transition To College
- ‘Moving up’ days including taster days for students who have applied to start a course in September; these usually take place at the end of June/beginning of July.
- College familiarisation tours for students with additional learning needs or difficulties who need some reassurance prior to attending college open evenings, taster days or ‘moving up’ days.
- Attendance At School Careers Events
If your school is hosting a careers convention, parents’ evening, options’ evening or drop-in advice session, please let us know if you would like us to attend. We can provide information about all of the courses at Wirral Met, apprenticeships, higher education and how to apply.
- College Open Events
Click for details of our open days/evenings & ‘moving up’ days for College applicants.
- Drop-in Information, Advice & Guidance At Our Conway Park Campus
Our qualified Student Advisers offer professional, impartial advice and guidance. Student Advisers look at previous experience and qualifications, they discuss future aims and career ideas and help individuals to identify the right study programme or apprenticeship to meet their career aspirations.
Student Advisers are based at our Conway Park Campus and provide a drop-in service (no appointment needed) from Monday to Friday 10am-4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
- Other Services
- Staff development for Careers Advisers/Co-ordinators including course/qualification updates and tours of Wirral Met College campuses
- Support with mock interviews
- Links with SENCOs to provide support for care leavers or students with safeguarding needs
- Competitions eg the College hosts Junior Bake-Off and STEM Top of the Bench events
*The Gatsby Benchmarks
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance