Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is for those who want to pursue a career in the fast growing barbering industry.
You will study Gents Hairdressing using different barbering techniques.
The course will include the underpinning knowledge and skills to enable you to become a competent barber. This will include:
- Health and safety
- Working in the hair industry
- Client consultation
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Cut men's hair
- Cutting facial hair, beards and moustaches
- Styling men's hair
- Reception Duties
- plaiting and twisting hair
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Display stock to promote sales in a salon
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Working with others in the hair and beauty sector
- The art of colouring hair
If your salon employs staff who hold an assessor's qualification you may also be able to achieve assessments in the industry. If you are not working in a salon then a work experience placement would be beneficial. During the course you may be given the opportunity to attend national shows and exhibitions where you can see demonstrations by some of the country's leading Barbers. Once a year we hold a College show and you may be expected to participate.
- Level 1 qualification in a relevant subject area, minimum of 3 GCSEs at Grade 3/D and above or an assessment of individual skills and experience may be considered for some applicants.
- Although not essential, we highly recommend a placement in a barbers of at least one day per week and have a genuine interest in Barbering.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and in a group as part of a discussion.
- Satisfactory interview and assessment.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Office use only. Non Standard 27.
You will need to wear a uniform, which consists of black tailored trousers (no leggings or jeans) and a black branded T-shirt. The T Shirt with white barber branding on the back is £6.50. You must wear all black closed in shoes. You will also be required to buy a kit so you can practice your skills at home as the kit contains all you will need including PPE Apron cost of £239.40 which will be delivered to your home address delivery included. This will be discussed at interview.
Assessments continue throughout the course. Practical assessment tests are carried out and written assignments. In addition there are VTCT End Tests.
- You will need math skills to be able to measure products and work within timings.
- Technical language will be taught on the course.
- You will be expected to provide your own models on a weekly basis from approximately October in order to achieve the looks required for this qualification, this will be discussed further during interview.
This profession and course require you to be able to carry out physical work for long periods of time. Reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate disabilities.
|Wednesday||18:00 — 20:00||Conway Park|
|Thursday||09:30 — 16:00||Conway Park|
If you are aged 19 or over:
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £1350.00
This is a full level 2 course
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form