Offering free advice and guidance on the training and funding available to upskill your current employees and to support your recruitment strategies, Wirral Met College’s Employer Services team works with over 500 organisations across the Liverpool City Region.
A valuable work experience placement will allow the student to trial a career choice, whilst building basic employability skills.
Our team are often asked what it takes to create an effective work experience placement for young people, so we’ve put together a helpful guide with our top ten tips for employers.
- Have a clear understanding of the work that you would like the student to undertake during their placement – ideally, have a conversation with the student prior to the placement to gain an understanding of their interests and existing skills
- Provide a full health and safety briefing as part of your induction
- Provide a clear point of contact for the student, a dedicated supervisor and a clear process for escalating any concerns
- Acknowledge that this is work experience, and reassure the student that they are not expected to be able to do the job that a fully qualified and experienced member of staff would do
- Ensure that the student is encouraged to ask questions
- Do not leave the student alone on the premises
- Ensure that the student’s dedicated supervisor is aware of safeguarding processes (the College will assist in providing advice and guidance)
- Maintain communication with the College throughout the placement to exchange feedback and ask for advice
- Provide an exit meeting for the student with their dedicated supervisor to provide feedback
- Offer a letter of recommendation for student where possible to help with their future aspirations, as well as providing advice on recruitment strategies within your sector
BONUS TIP! Job shadowing is a useful exercise for young people who are looking for a realistic insight into a future career.
Are you interested in offering a work experience placement to one of Wirral Met College’s students? Get in touch with our friendly, experienced Employer Services team for more information.