Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
Our level 2 sport qualification is designed to enable you to choose a pathway that reflects your career or academic aspirations. The pathways are:
- K084 Outdoor Adventurous Activity
- K086 Sports Coaching
- K048 Personal trainer
- K040 Sport, Exercise and Fitness
The course has been designed to prepare you for a career in sports coaching.
The qualification is an NCFE Level 2 Diploma in Sport
Wirral Metropolitan College Football Development Centre combines this academic qualification with practical skills and technical/tactical development, coaching and the option of competitive or recreational weekly football fixtures depending on ability.
Throughout this qualification you will develop the knowledge and skills needed to prepare you to plan and lead activity sessions in the sports environment.
- Participation in sport
- Sports coaching
- Developing sporting skills and tactical awareness
- Physical fitness and injuries in sport
- Performance analysis for sport
- Psychology for sports performance
- Planning and leading sports activities
- Understanding business in sport
- Lifestyle and the sports performer
- Sports volunteering
- Work experience in the sports industry
- Plan and set up an enterprising sport business
- Anatomy and physiology for sport
- Introduction to healthy exercise and nutrition
- Development of personal fitness through training
- Factors affecting participation in sport and physical activity
- Preparing to work in the sport and leisure industry
Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
Relevant Level 1 qualification or minimum 3 GCSEs at 3/D or above, preferably including English and maths.
Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
You should have a keen interest in sport and aspire to pursuing a career in leading and coaching sport and active leisure activities.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
All students will be expected to purchase and maintain a course uniform. There will also be costs associated with trips. These will be discussed during your interview. Due to the nature of the course, the practical aspects will take part on grass, 3G Astroturf, sports hall and fitness suite. All students will need to provide themselves with appropriate footwear for all surfaces as well as shin guards.
The course is assessed using a combination of practical and portfolio-based activities.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (or grade 4 or above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
At the end of the course you could progress to employment in the sports and fitness industry or continue studying on BTEC Level 3 Sport and Exercise Science, Outdoor Adventure and Sport or NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Sports Coaching, Development and Excellence at Wirral Met College.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
Starting 1st September 2021 - Ending - 24th June 2022
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £575.00
This course is FREE if you are - aged 19+ and live in the Liverpool City Region. If you are aged 19+ and live outside the Liverpool City Region, you are unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits, or in work earning less than £17,004 annual gross salary, or you are aged 19-23 and have not already achieved a full level 2 qualification, this course is FREE. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form