Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This qualification has been specifically designed for the 16-18 age group who want to pursue a career in the popular, exciting and fast growing industry of Health, Fitness and Personal training.
This qualification aims to provide learners with the knowledge and skills to be able to plan, deliver and supervise safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment.
This is Year One of a Two Year programme. After year one you will be a qualified Fitness instructor in gym based exercise and group exercise. You will then be able to progress onto year 2 to study level 3 Personal Trainer (K048) to gain all the skills required for a successful career in the fitness industry including being self-employed.
During the programme you will study:
- Anatomy, physiology and nutrition and how they relate to exercise and fitness.
- Health and safety in the fitness environment.
- The skills to conduct client and group inductions in a gym-based environment and support exercise adherence and a healthy lifestyle.
- The skills to plan, instruct and supervise safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions.
- Professionalism for fitness instructing.
- Personal and professional development.
- Delivering exceptional customer service.
CIMSPA Endorsed Professional Standards
Relevant Entry Level qualification or 3GCSEs at Grade 2/E or above. Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference. If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
This course is assessed using a variety of methods including tutor-observations of practical activities, worksheets, presentations etc.
You will be expected to wear a uniform (which will be discussed at interview and induction)
You will participate in real work experience
Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
The course requires physical exertion, and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in english and maths (grade 4 and above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
- K048 — Level 3 Personal Trainer
- Apprenticeship in Personal training
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
Starting 1st September 2021 - Ending - 22nd June 2022
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £575.00
This course is FREE if you are - aged 19+ and live in the Liverpool City Region. If you are aged 19+ and live outside the Liverpool City Region, you are unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits, or in work earning less than £17,004 annual gross salary, or you are aged 19-23 and have not already achieved a full level 2 qualification, this course is FREE. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form