Partnership working between Magenta Living and Wirral Met College has ensured students have what they need to complete their course.
From a ‘post code’ fund of £20,000 from Magenta Living, the largest social landlord on Wirral, the college has supported students with course essentials, travel and food when a lack of money or a change in home circumstances has threatened the student’s ability to complete their qualification.
Due to the success of the initial project, originally established in 2013, the fund has just been boosted by a further £10,000 from Magenta Living.
The grants vary in amount and are for students living in communities where Magenta Living has an interest as a landlord.
Wirral Met College’s Learning Mentors team support some of the most vulnerable students with a range of personal support needs, from problems relating to finance, childcare, family issues to study support. They were able to identify the students most in need of help, who were eligible for support from Magenta Living.
Magenta Living’s Executive and Strategic Director said:”A chance conversation with Wirral Met revealed that relatively small amounts of monetary support could make all the difference to a student finishing their course and getting them on the career ladder.
“The support goes, confidentially, to the student and I am delighted that our support is making such a difference.”
Sue Higginson, Principal of Wirral Met College, said “we have a strong partnership with Magenta Living that has developed over many years and we very much appreciate their support. The comments from students, who have been supported by this initiative, speaks volumes and shows just how it has helped remove things that would otherwise be a real barrier to learning”
Students have expressed their feelings about the support they have received, saying:
• “It has made it easier for me to get to college and be able to complete everything”
• “I was able to use the journals for my projects”
• “Buying the uniform made a difference and allowed me to attend”
• “A massive difference – haven’t had to struggle with money for travel”
• “The difference has been a really good help with my college course”
• “I think the money was a brilliant idea and it helped me to pay for my uniform therefore I had a uniform to wear for the year”
• “A massive thank you for helping me to complete the course”
• “This has really helped me and one less worry for my mum”
The students’ stories
R, a mature student, studying on an ICT course had to walk into college due to financial difficulty. This was causing him some discomfort as he also has a disability which causes tiredness. Magenta funding provided him with a travel pass which eased his situation considerably and allowed him to continue with his course.