Congratulations from Wirral Met College to all students who get their GCSE results this week. We hope you get the results you expected, but do not despair if you have not! There are plenty of opportunities for you, whether you have gained A* grades throughout or lower grades.
A Levels, BTEC Diplomas, Apprenticeships – which route is best?
The choice of course and qualification often depends on what grades you get at GCSE. But do not forget, if you are looking at progressing to university, you do not have to do A Levels, as many Level 3 BTEC Diplomas and apprenticeships can lead on to Higher Education (HE) or university level courses.
As a rough guide to which routes are best, take a look at the following:
- No GCSEs? – Join an Entry Level course.
- Just a few GCSEs at grade E? – Join a Level 1 course, such as the NVQ Level 1, BTEC Certificate/Award or Prince’s Trust programme.
- 4 GCSEs at grades A – D and above? – Join a Level 2 course, such as a NVQ Level 2, BTEC Certificate/Diploma, an Intermediate Apprenticeship or Prince’s Trust programme.
- 4-5 GCSEs at grades A* – C, or a Level 2 qualification? – Join a Level 3 course, such as NVQ Level 3, BTEC Certificate/Diploma, A Level, or an Advanced Apprenticeship.
- Do you want to do an apprenticeship? – Take a look at the current vacancies. If you are not quite ready for an apprenticeship, take a look at a Traineeship.
As this is only a rough guide to the different qualifications at each level, and there are many other courses available, contact Wirral Met College’s Student Advisers on 0151 551 7777, or call in to see them at our Conway Park Campus.