About the English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) department
The English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) department has been running English courses for students for more than 20 years. Our team of dedicated, experienced teachers and support staff will help you learn in a friendly and supportive environment.
The ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) department is accredited by the British Council which ensures students receive excellent teaching, suitable premises and plenty of support. The College is also inspected regularly by OFSTED, the UK government body which ensures high standards of education in the UK, and that course content and teaching are up to date and of the highest quality.
The aim of ESOL courses is to ensure all your language, social and academic needs are met by:
- Providing a stimulating environment in which you can develop your language skills
- Providing a range of resources to help you study and achieve your goals
- Ensuring you gain the skills to help you progress into further study at Wirral Met or another UK educational establishment.
- Offering a range of organised activities which will help you learn more about the English way of life
If you are coming to the college to study English only, you will be assessed before joining your class. You will then be put into a class where the students are at a similar stage in their English learning as you. We have classes from beginners to advanced levels. All full-time courses within the English Language Unit have a maximum class size of 18 students.
- International students must be aged 18 or above (please note, you may be in a class that includes 16-18 year olds)
- Home based students must be aged 16 or above.
Are you an employer?
We can provide training and development to meet the needs of employees for whom English is not their first language. Take a look at our Services for Employers information.
The College’s Social Programme is available to all international students. The programme involves activities such as sports, visits to museums, films & other social events. It may also include informational sessions on careers, personal safety etc.