Pharmacy & Other Dispensing Assistants
Pharmacy and other dispensing assistants work under the supervision of pharmacists or other relevant health professionals to dispense drugs and medicines, issue pre-packaged prescriptions, sell over-the-counter medication, dispense spectacles and contact lenses and other related products.
- Checks received prescriptions for legality and accuracy and confirms patients’ or customers’ details
- Maintains records of prescriptions received and drugs issued
- Checks stock levels, rotates stock, orders new stock from supplying companies and ensures that products are stored appropriately
- Arranges displays of merchandise
- Relays information to customers under the direction of pharmacist or other health professional
- Carries out sales transaction, wraps and packages goods.
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job, supplemented by study towards vocational qualifications. NVQs/ SVQs are available in relevant areas and at various levels, and apprenticeships may be available.