Catering & Bar Managers
Catering and bar managers plan, direct and co-ordinate the catering and bar facilities and services of licensed premises, factories, shops, theatres, educational premises and other establishments. They also manage outside catering businesses and shops selling food cooked on the premises.
- Plans catering or bar services and supervises staff
- Decides on range and quality of meals and beverages to be provided or discusses customer’s requirements for special occasions
- Purchases or directs the purchasing of supplies and arranges for preparation of accounts
- Verifies that quality of food, beverages and waiting service are as required and that kitchen and dining areas are kept clean in compliance with statutory requirements
- Checks that supplies are properly used and accounted for to prevent wastage and loss and to keep within budget limit.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Larger catering and licensed premises chains offer managerial trainee schemes. Candidates for these usually require a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification, or a professional qualification. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 2 to 4.