Plasterers apply plaster and cement mixtures to walls and ceilings, fix fibrous sheets and cast and fix ornamental plasterwork to the interior or exterior of buildings.
- Mixes, or directs the mixing of, plaster to desired consistency
- Applies and smoothes one or more coats of plaster and produces a finished surface, using hand tools or mechanical spray
- Pours liquid plaster into mould to cast ornamental plaster work
- Measures, cuts, installs and secures plaster board and/or ornamental plasterwork to walls and ceilings
- Covers and seals joints between boards and finishes surface
- Checks surface level using line, spirit level and straight edge.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.