IT engineers install, maintain and repair the physical components of computer systems and equipment.
- Installs, tests and maintains computer-related hardware (processors, memory chips, circuit boards, displays, sensors, data storage devices, printers, etc.) according to given specifications
- Diagnoses hardware related faults
- Repairs or replaces defective components
- Advises on and installs operating soft/firm ware and may carry out upgrades
- Maintains documentation to track and log work in progress and completed.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, BTEC/SQA awards, an Advanced GNVQ/ GSVQ Level III or a degree. Training is usually provided on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications, and NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.