Secondary Education Teaching Professionals
Secondary (and middle school deemed secondary) education teaching professionals plan, organise and provide instruction in one or more subjects, including physical education and diversionary activities, within a prescribed curriculum in a secondary or secondary/ middle school.
- Prepares and delivers courses and lessons in accordance with curriculum requirements and teaches one or more subjects
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises and examinations to record and evaluate students’ progress
- Prepares students for external examinations and administers and invigilates these examinations
- Maintains records of students’ progress and development
- Supervises any practical work and maintains classroom discipline
- Undertakes pastoral duties
- Supervises teaching assistants and trainees
- Discusses progress with student, parents and/or other education professionals
- Assists with or plans and develops curriculum and rota of teaching duties.
Entry is with a first degree that provides QTS (qualified teacher status) or, in Scotland, TQ (teaching qualification); or other relevant degree followed by further postgraduate training (most commonly PGCE – Postgraduate Certificate in Secondary Education, or, in Scotland, PGDE – Professional Graduate Diploma in Education). Further and higher professional qualifications are required for some teaching posts.