Level 3, Full Time
Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
This study programme has been developed by the SSC GoSkills following extensive employer consultation and research to address skills gaps and to provide practitioners within the Aviation Industry, operating in job roles with a high level of personal responsibility at supervisory levels, with the opportunity to demonstrate evidence of technical competency and the underpinning knowledge relating to their work activities.
This course has been developed to give students the opportunity to:
- Engage in learning that is relevant to them and that will provide opportunities to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life
- Progress to employment in a particular vocational sector or progress to related general and/or vocational qualifications.
The aviation industry has grown at a rapid pace. The last 10 years have seen a huge increase in the start up of new low-cost scheduled airlines, an increase in routes offered by network carriers and scheduled airlines, and the establishment of charter airlines which sell direct to the public.
Subsidiary Diploma - 60 credits total Diploma - 120 credits total Mandatory units (Credit value shown) All four units must be taken.
- The UK Aviation Industry (10)
- Health and Safety in the Aviation Industry (7)
- Security in the Aviation Industry (4)
- Inter-relationships Within the UK Aviation Industry (6) Optional units - chosen by tutors with input from students where possible (Credit value shown)
- Aviation Geography and Terminology (6)
- Customer Service in the Aviation Industry (7)
- Team Leadership (4)
- Marketing in the Aviation Industry (9)
- E-Business for Airlines (4)
- Preparation for Employment in the Aviation Industry (5)
- Airport and Airline Commercial Operations (6)
- Environmental Impacts of Aviation (10)
- Handling Air Passengers
- Onboard Passenger Operations (9)
- Aviation Communications (4)
- The Principles of Flight (2)
- Flight Operations (5)
- Bird and Wildlife Control on Airports and Airfields (4)
- Aviation Meteorology for Ground Staff (3)
- Airfares and Ticketing 1 (10)
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A* - C (grade 4 or above) including English Language and mathematics, or equivalent Level 2 qualifications.
- Satisfactory interview to assess motivation, previous experience if applicable, communication skills, career planning
- Satisfactory reference/school report
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Students need to be prepared to purchase a uniform which is to be worn to agreed standards when in college and on college business, the approximate cost will be advised at interview.
This is an assignment based course with elements of practical assessment throughout including projects, case studies and role plays.
There are optional residential visits abroad plus other industry visits to airports and training centres in the UK. Students must have a valid EU passport with a least 6 months before expiry.
For more information on BTEC qualifications www.edexcel.com
For careers information www.nextstep.direct.gov.uk
For higher education information www.ucas.com
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
At the end of the course, you could progress to higher education or employment. For opportunities to continue studying Travel at Wirral Met, please see BTEC Higher National Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management (Ref: L042). You will be assisted with applications for employment by tutors with current and up to date Airline Industry Experience.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 07th Sep 2018 - Ends 27th Jun 2020
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £4500.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 21st June, 2018 and may be subject to change.