Are you aged 16-19? Interested in gaining valuable industry experience alongside learning a new qualification to progress onto a job, apprenticeship or Degree? T Levels are coming in 2022!
Wirral Met College will be offering new technical qualifications called T Levels from September 2022, in the following areas:
- Onsite Construction (Electrical Installation & Plumbing)
- Digital (Software, Applications Design and Development)
- Education & Childcare (Early years, teaching assistants)
What are T Levels?
- Technical qualifications at level 3, equivalent to taking 3 A Levels.
- For those aged 16-19 who have finished their GCSEs and want the knowledge and experience to progress into a job, apprenticeship or Higher Education.
- Two-year programmes: you’ll spend 80% of your time in industry standard practical areas and well-resourced classrooms. An additional 20% will be spent on an industrial placement with an employer who will be matched and able to provide a working experience within the industry of your future career path e.g. you could spend 10-20 weeks working 2-4 days per week.
Are T Levels the same as an apprenticeship?
No, although they are similar. As an apprentice, you will spend most of your time in the workplace, learning on the job, whereas as a T Level student, you will spend most of your time in College learning. Below is a handy explanation on their differences.
Apprenticeships - 80% in the workplace and 20% off the job training i.e. an employment opportunity with training for those who are keen on working in a specific role.
T Levels - 80% classroom-based with 20% on an extended industry placement. A T Level gives an overview of different roles and career routes within an industry.
What are the benefits of studying a T Level?
- You get valuable work experience to include on your CV or UCAS application.
- You make connections and gain a valuable reference, to help you find a job once qualifying.
- You gain a real insight into the industry you’re training to enter – give yourself a head start in knowing what type of job you will want to go into after finishing your course.
- You will improve your technical skills.
- You will improve your confidence, learn how to communicate clearly and work as part of a team.
How do I apply?
Applications will be opening soon! For now, please register your interest here and we will be in touch.