Level 2, Full Time
Application Form to be returned to Student Services
Our suite of level 2 sport qualifications are designed to enable you to choose a pathway that reflects your career or academic aspirations. The pathways are:
- K015 Outdoor Adventurous Activity
- K065 Sports Coaching
- K047 Sport, Exercise and Fitness
This course is focused towards students seeking to gain a vocationally related qualification in exercise, fitness and health.
This practically focused qualification will develop the skills to plan and instruct gym-based exercise and plan and implement sport and leisure activities.
The course incorporates the Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction (gym based) and the Level 2 Award in Instructing Circuit Training.
On successful completion of this qualification, you will be entered onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS register).
You will develop the knowledge and skills needed to plan fitness regimes, to plan and assist in the leading of activity sessions and will be encouraged to take part in regular exercise. Students will also be introduced to how the body works, lifestyle management, healthy eating, working in sport and active leisure and the variety of job opportunities available. In addition students will have opportunity to work with customers and gain insight into their work rights and responsibilities.
The qualification consists of 3 graded mandatory units and optional units including:
- Participation in sport
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Introduction to healthy exercise and nutrition
- Sports coaching
- Physical fitness and injuries in sport
- Developing sporting skills and tactical awareness
- Performance analysis for sport
- Psychology for sports performance
- Outdoor and adventurous sport
- Planning and leading sports activities
- Understanding business in sport
- Lifestyle and the sports performer
- Sports volunteering
- Work experience in the sports industry
- Plan and set up an enterprising sport business
- Strength and conditioning training
- Development of personal fitness through training
- Introduction to sports massage
You should have a relevant Level 1 qualification or minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade 3/D or above (preferably including English and maths).
You will be required to successfully complete an aptitude test in the gym as part of the application process
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
The course is assessed using a combination of practical and portfolio-based activities.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (or grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
When does this course run?
Starts 03rd Sep 2018 - Ends 28th Jun 2019
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £765.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
Planned Timetable Day Times Campus Wednesday 10:00 — 17:30 Oval Campus Thursday 10:00 — 15:00 Oval Campus Friday 10:00 — 15:30 Oval Campus
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 21st August, 2018 and may be subject to change.