Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed to meet the employment opportunities within the outdoor industry. You will cover a range of skills and knowledge to develop your career in this industry or progression into Higher Education.
Areas of study may include
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Sports nutrition
- Fitness training and programming
- Principles and practice in outdoor adventure
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
Students will take part in a variety of activities, examples of these are: high ropes courses, rock-climbing, raft building, kayaking / canoeing, gorge walking, navigation, mountain craft and leadership, caving, scrambling and camping. During the year students will have the opportunity to take part in three expeditions in a range of activities and venues throughout different areas of the UK.
Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
Candidates must hold one of the following:
- BTEC First Diploma in sport or related area
- 4 GCSE passes at grade A-C (grades 4 or above), or equivalent preferably including English and maths
- Other related level 2 qualifications
All students will need to provide themselves with a good quality pair of walking boots, all other equipment can be provided, although students may prefer their own.
There will be continuous assessment by a variety of methods including assignments, projects, practical exercises, group work and presentations.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
Outdoor education requires hard work and enthusiasm in, at times, what can be very adverse conditions. All prospective students should be willing to take part in all activities in a variety of weather conditions and ensure that their personal fitness is of a standard that allows them to operate safely during the practical sessions.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
When does this course run?
Starts 06th Sep 2019 - Ends 26th Jun 2020
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £2420.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 15th November, 2018 and may be subject to change.