Level 3, Full Time
Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed to give you the skills you need to either progress to higher education or into employment. The range of careers that you can progress into include: Police, Fire and Rescue Service, Prison Service, Armed Services, Maritime and Coastguard Agency and UK Border Agency.
Some areas of study include:
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
- Custodial Care Services
- Communication and Technology in the Uniformed Public Services
- Employment in the Public Services
- Career planning in the Public Services
- Volunteering in Public Services
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
You will need to wear a uniform of polo shirt and combat trousers in lessons and a college kit including course t-shirt for sport.
There will be continuous assessment by a variety of methods including assignments, practical activities, group work and presentations.
You will be required to contribute financially to the cost of trips, visits and residentials, although these will be kept as low as possible. Recent activities have included Skiing taster session, a trip to the Houses of Parliament in London, RAF development workshops and a sports residential camp to experience a number of outdoor activities.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
At the end of the course, you could progress to higher education, employment or start an application for the Public Services. This course is NOT a guaranteed entry into the Public Services as they have their own entry requirements/tests. Two units of study prepare you for this application process to give you the best possible start to your future career.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 07th Sep 2018 - Ends 27th Jun 2020
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £5900.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 21st August, 2018 and may be subject to change.