Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
If you are interested in this course after September, please contact the Student Adviser on 551 7777. This course provides you with an introduction to the hairdressing and beauty therapy industry as well as developing your skills in personal and social development.
You will be taught a range of skills and techniques across the hair & beauty sectors, which will allow you to perform your own salon services and to assist others in the salon. Part of your week will be spent working in the College Salons learning basic hair and beauty skills and assisting the Level 1, 2 and 3 students. The course will enable you to study a wide range of skills, all of which will help you on your chosen career pathway, moving into employment, apprenticeship or further training. You will get the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocational qualification linked to your chosen career. Also, this course will help you to improve your maths & English, plus develop the personal and social skills which employers look for. You will be given support and guidance throughout your learning journey and your progress will be reviewed with you regularly. You will cover the following:
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Styling women's hair
- Hair plaiting and braiding
- Health and Safety
- Hand care
- Skin care
You will also spend time researching and finding out about different job roles and career pathways within the hair and beauty industry as well as developing yourself and learning how to deal with problems and work towards goals. You will learn how to manage your own time, handle money and work as a team, all skills which are highly sought after in the hair and beauty industry.
During your course there may be opportunities for you to attend National shows and exhibitions.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- No formal qualifications are required.
- You need to have a genuine interest in the Hair and Beauty industry.
- Communication: an ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and to follow verbal instructions from a tutor or client. Much of the course material is presented in work books which you will need to be able to read.
- You need the skills for working with customers e.g. helping to put on a gown and directing the client to the appropriate salon and workstation. You will be expected to stand for periods of time and have the skills to set up and tidy work areas.
- Satisfactory interview, assessment and reference or school report.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
You will need to provide a uniform, following the College uniform policy (approximate cost £40). This will be discussed at interview.
You will be assessed on practical & theory. In addition there is a written VTCT exam for Health & Safety.
An interview for all candidates will be arranged with a member of the teaching team where you will have an opportunity to discuss the course and your individual needs. You will also carry out a skills test to allow us to assess your dexterity.
Students may be able to fast track to level 1, dependent on progress.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths (grade 4 or above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
This qualification could lead directly into supervised employment in the hair and beauty industry working as a salon apprentice. You can also progress onto Level 1 Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 03rd Sep 2018 - Ends 26th Jun 2019
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £430.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
Planned Timetable Day Times Campus Tuesday 10:00 — 16:00 Conway Park Wednesday 09:00 — 16:00 Conway Park
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 15th July, 2018 and may be subject to change.