Application Form to be returned to Student Services
If you wish to gain a vocational qualification in make-up and have a genuine interest in the world of fashion, photography and catwalk make-up, this course is for you.
You will study:
- Skin care to prepare the skin for make-up application
- Application of false lashes
- Photographic make-up
- Fashion make-up
- History of make-up
- Bridal make-up
Related skills and the required knowledge will also be studied including client care and team work.
During the course you will spend your evening in the salon working on your own models and undertaking theory sessions. You will also spend time with a professional photographer to allow you to experience a realistic working environment and build a portfolio. During your course there may be opportunities for attending national shows and exhibitions. Once a year we hold a college competition and show and it is mandatory for you to take part as this is part of your assessment criteria. The college has industry links which have previously included MAC and Illamasqua.
- Relevant Level 2 Diploma or minimum 4 GCSEs at Grade A*- C (or grade 4 and above) including English Language
- You need the skills for fine work e.g. accurate use of an eye-liner pencil or lip-liner and there are times when it will be necessary to stand for long periods e.g. giving a make up treatment.
- Satisfactory interview, assessment and reference or school report.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
You will need to provide your own equipment (brushes and make-up products) as advised by your tutor. These additional costs need to be taken into consideration (basic kit approximately £150).
Assessments continue throughout the course both in practical and theory sessions. There are written assignments to complete and VTCT exams.
- An early application is recommended for this course due to its popularity. All applicants will be interviewed and there will be a written exercise to be completed and brought to this interview.
- You need to have a geniune interest in make up and skin care.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. tutor or client and in a group as part of discussions.
- Although there is no uniform for this course it is expected that you will have a good level of personal presentation, wearing professional and appropriate clothing.
- Departmental events are run throughout the year and you will be expected to attend to represent the college, this is with a view to increasing your employability skills and adding to your industrial work experience.
- You will need to provide a variety of your own models during the course.
- You will be expected to work towards a VTCT Health & Safety Diploma if you have not already achieved this qualification. This will have an additional cost of approximately £15.
- You may be able to progress to other beauty therapy courses e.g. NVQ 2 Beauty Therapy.
- Many hairdressers find this course useful in order to offer cosmetic treatments within the salon environment.
- This is a useful qualification for those who are particularly interested in fashion make-up and also for therapists and hairdressers who want to offer bridal make-up.
Explore potential careers via Career Coach — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 05th Sep 2018 - Ends 26th Jun 2019
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £750.00
Please note, there are no discounts for this course. If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
Planned Timetable Day Times Campus Wednesday 18:00 — 21:00 Conway Park
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 17th June, 2018 and may be subject to change.