Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is for those who wants to pursue a career in the fast growing barbering industry.
You will study Gents Hairdressing using different barbering techniques. The course will include the underpinning knowledge and skills to enable you to become a competent barber. This will include:
- Health and safety
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo and condition
- Cutting hair including cutting facial hair, beards and moustaches
- Colouring clients hair
- Style and finish hair
- Create basic patterns in hair
- Team work, creating a positive impression and client care
If your salon employs staff who hold an assessor's qualification you may also be able to achieve assessments in the industry. During the course you may be given the opportunity to attend National shows and exhibitions where you can see demonstrations by some of the country's leading Barbers. Once a year we hold a college show and you may be expected to participate.
- Level 1 qualification in a relevant subject area or an assessment of individual skills and experience may be considered for some applicants.
- Although not essential, we highly recommend a placement in a barbers of at least one day per week and have a genuine interest in Barbering.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and in a group as part of a discussion.
- Satisfactory interview and assessment.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Assessments continue throughout the course. Practical assessment tests are carried out and written assignments. In addition there are VTCT End Tests.
- This course and the hairdressing profession requires you to be able to carry out physical work for long periods of time. Reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate disabilities.
- You will need math skills to be able to measure products and work within timings.
- Reading & writing will be required for achievement of exams. Technical language will be taught on the course.
- You will be expected to provide your own models on a weekly basis from approximately October in order to achieve the looks required for this qualification, this will be discussed further during interview.
- This cost of equipment covers approximately £20 for uniform and £230 for barbering equipment. If you already own suitable equipment you may not need to purchase this.
When does this course run?
Starts 04th Sep 2018 - Ends 28th Jun 2019
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £825.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
Planned Timetable Day Times Campus Tuesday 10:00 — 17:00 Conway Park
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 23rd May, 2018 and may be subject to change.