Register your interest in an apprenticeship - call 0151 551 7610
This Apprenticeship covers all the basics of Barbering. As a Barbering apprentice, you'll work as a salon junior, assisting senior staff while training as a junior Barber. Duties are likely to include booking appointments, shampooing, conditioning, drying and styling hair. You'll study topics such as hair and skin testing and also have the option to learn about promoting products and hair patterns. On this Apprenticeship you'll spend a lot of time on your feet. It's also important that you look smart and professional. Good communication plays a role, too - you'll need to understand exactly what your customer wants in order to make them happy.
The Apprentice framework includes the following qualifications:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering
- Level 1 Functional Skill English
- Level 1 Functional Skill maths
The mandatory units on the Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering are:
- Dry & finish men's hair
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Cut hair using basic barbering techniques
- Advise and consult with clients
- Cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety
Apprentices must be in paid employment of at least 30 hours per week. Apprenticeships where the Apprentice is working and studying for less than 30 hours per week are by exception only. In any circumstances the Apprentice must not work for less than 16 hours per week. It is advantageous to have 3 GCSE's at grade D or above in English, maths, Science or Art.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Potential Apprentices with a predisposition to certain skin conditions or allergies, such as occupational dermatitis, eczema, asthma, need to understand that some of the chemicals, liquids and aerosols used in barbering may have a significant effect on their health condition
Apprenticeships are designed for individuals who are in paid employment within the sector and would like to achieve qualifications which recognise the skills they gain in the workplace.
If you have already found a job you may be able to convert it into an Apprenticeship.
Speak to your employer and discuss the opportunity of you becoming an Apprentice. There is plenty of help and support for you and your employer and they may be eligible for a grant.
If you are looking for a job with an Apprenticeship you can register on the National Apprenticeship Vacancy website www.apprenticeships.org.uk or to view the Apprenticeship we are currently advertising go to http://wmc.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprenticeships-vacancies/
Want to search for Apprenticeship vacancies whilst on the go? Download the Av Search app to find vacancies on iPhone and Android.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
- The advanced Level Apprenticeship in Barbering or Hairdressing
- Into employment as a junior barber or other job roles in the barbering related industries
- To the advanced Diploma in hair & beauty studies
When does this course run?
Starts 01st Sep 2019 - Ends 28th Jul 2021
Please contact Employer Services team on 0151 551 7610.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 27th March, 2019 and may be subject to change.