Application Form to be returned to Student Services
The 180-credit BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma extends and deepens the specialist work-related focus from the BTEC Level 3 (90 credit) Diploma. There is potential for the qualification to prepare learners for appropriate direct employment in the vocational sector and it is suitable for those who have decided that they clearly wish to enter a particular specialist area of work. It is broadly equivalent to three GCE A Levels.
The course is made up of:
- Health and Safety in the Engineering Workplace
- Communications for Engineering Technicians
- Engineering Project
- Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
- Mechanical Principles and Applications
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
Optional units (chosen from the list below to meet the needs of the majority of learners):
- Computer Aided Drafting in Engineering
- Selection and Using Programmable Controllers
- Applications of Thermodynamics Systems
- Electronic Fault-finding
- Electronic Devices
- Further Electrical Principles
- Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Engineering (Merit) or equivalent. Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Scientific calculator and your own stationary
You will be assessed mainly through assignments.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths (Grade 4 or above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
Enter a specialist area of employment or progress to HNC or a degree or other professional development programme.
Explore potential careers via Career Coach, it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
When does this course run?
Starts 03rd Sep 2018 - Ends 26th Jun 2020
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £7000.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 23rd June, 2018 and may be subject to change.