Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
The Post Graduate Certificate in Education, awarded by the University of Central Lancashire, is primarily for those who want to teach in Further Education and sixth form. The aim of the course is to prepare trainees to teach in a range of contexts in the Further Education and Skills sector. Trainees are expected to attend a placement that includes at least 150 teaching hours over the two years (75 hours per year). Trainees are also expected to undertake other department duties such as taking part in meetings, answering queries, and planning and preparation for classes.
There are 6 units across the two years. The modules are as follows:
- Preparation for Education and Training (Level 4)
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 4)
- Curriculum Design and Assessment (Level 5)
- Action Research: Deconstructing Practice (Level 7)
- Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 6)
- Wider Perspectives in Education and Training (Level 7)
Students will receive timetables of study and assessment calendar in their course handbooks upon enrolling.
- An honours degree (applicants who do not have a degree should enrol on the Certificate in Education programme (see separate information course code B109).
- Five GCSEs at C/4 and above or equivalent as a minimum qualification, to include English and maths.
- The ability to communicate fluently, accurately and effectively in professional spoken English.
- A level 3 (QCF) qualification in your teaching subject specialism, if other than your degree.
- A teaching or training placement for a minimum of 150 teaching hours over the two years (75 hours per year).
- Evidence of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (previously CRB check).
The assessment on this course is continuous and based upon demonstrating evidence of meeting the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers in Education and Training (ETF 2014). There are three aspects of assessment:
- Teaching practice: Assessed through observation of teaching practice to include 8 successful observations (4 per year) and the development of a teaching practice portfolio.
- Coursework assignments: You will complete a variety of assignments including academic essays, presentations both poster presentations and group presentations.
- Professionalism: Assessed through participation in class activities, performance in teaching and professional attitude. This includes evidence that you are meeting professional standards.
The University of Central Lancashire and an external examiner moderate each course.
Application process: Upon application you will be asked to complete the UCLan application form and provide a CV at interview.
Placements: There are a limited number of placements within the college and these are allocated through a curriculum interview to assess the suitability of your qualifications and experience which should be in line with department needs. Placement within the college cannot be guaranteed and as such early applications are recommended. External placements may be suitable and staff will do what they can to assist you with finding other placements, these will need to be checked for suitability.
Additional costs to the course include:
While this qualification is not a school teaching qualification there may be employment opportunities in some schools, particularly for teachers of vocational subjects.
On achieving this qualification, trainee teachers will be able to begin the process of achieving Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS). Please see the following website for further information on QTLS: Gaining QTLS
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
|Tuesday||09:00 — 17:00||Online|
|Tuesday||17:00 — 21:00||Wirral Waters|
If you are aged 19 or over:
Please note, this fee is the cost per year. For Higher Education (HE) courses, student loans are available to most students undertaking a degree, foundation degree, HNC / HND or teacher training programme. Visit https://www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance for details.
Fee : £3895.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 21/22. Find out more about student loans for Higher Education Programmes.
Course information correct at 08.10.20
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form