Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course leads to qualified teacher status in the Further Education and Skills sector. It is a level 5 qualification and is designed for those who intend to take on a full teaching role, having responsibility for students throughout the learning process and engaging in teaching at a range of academic levels.
The Certificate in Education is primarily for those who want to teach in Further Education and sixth form. The aim of the course is to prepare trainees to teach in a range of contexts in the further education and skills sector. Trainees are expected to attend a placement that includes at least 150 teaching hours over the two years (75 hours per year). Trainees are also expected to undertake other department duties such as taking part in meetings, answering queries, and planning and preparation for classes. There are 6 units across the two years. The modules are as follows: Year 1 Preparation for Education and Training (Level 4) Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 4) Curriculum Design and Assessment (Level 5) Year 2 Practitioner Research: An Action Research Approach (Level 5) Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 6) Contemporary Issues in Education and Training (Level 5) Students will receive timetables of study and assessment calendars in their course handbooks upon enrolling to the course.
- 5 GCSEs at C/4 and above, or equivalent, to include English
- To be operating at level 2 in English and maths
- A level 3 qualification in your teaching subject specialism
- The ability to communicate fluently, accurately and effectively in professional spoken English
- A teaching or training contract for a minimum of 150 teaching hours over the two years (75 hours per year).
- Evidence of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (previously CRB check)
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
The assessment on this course is continuous and based upon demonstrating evidence of meeting the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers in Education and Training (ETF 2014). There are three aspects of assessment:
- Teaching practice: Assessed through observation of teaching practice to include 8 successful observations (4 per year), and the development of a teaching practice portfolio.
- Coursework assignments: You will complete a variety of assignments including academic essays, presentations both poster presentations and group presentations.
- Professionalism: Assessed through participation in class activities, performance in teaching and professional attitude. This includes evidence that you are meeting professional standards.
Application process: Upon application you will be asked to complete the UCLan application form and provide a CV at interview. Placements: There are a limited number of placements within the college and these are allocated through a curriculum interview to assess the suitability of your qualifications and experience with the department needs. Placement within the college cannot be guaranteed and as such early applications are recommended. External placements may be suitable and staff will do what they can to assist you with finding other placements, these will need to be checked for suitability.
On achieving the Certificate in Education, trainee teachers will be able to begin the process of achieving Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS). Please see the following website for further information on QTLS: https://set.et-foundation.co.uk/professionalism/gaining-qtls/
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £2650.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2019-20.
|Tuesday||16:00 — 21:00||Wirral Waters|
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).