Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is a level 5 qualification and is designed for those who intend to take on a full teaching role, having responsibility for students throughout the learning process and engaging in teaching at a range of academic levels within their subject specialism.
The Certificate in Education is primarily for those who want to teach in Further Education and sixth form. The aim of the course is to prepare trainees to teach in a range of contexts in the Further Education and Skills sector. Trainees are expected to attend a placement that includes at least 150 teaching hours as well as other department duties such as taking part in meetings, answering queries, and planning and preparation for classes. You will be in placement for 2 — 2.5 days a week.
There are 6 units across 2 stages. Stage One runs from September to January and Stage Two from January to June. The modules are as follows:
- Preparation for Education and Training (Level 4)
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 4)
- Curriculum Design and Assessment (Level 5)
- Action Research: An Action Research Approach (Level 5)
- Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 6)
- Contemporary Issues in Education and Training (Level 5)
Students are given their timetable of study and assessment calendar in their course handbook on enrolling.
- 5 GCSEs at C/4 and above or equivalent as a minimum qualification, to include English
- To be operating at level 2 in English and maths
- A level 3 qualification in your teaching subject specialism
- The ability to communicate fluently, accurately and effectively in professional spoken English
- A teaching or training contract for a minimum of 150 hours of teaching. Under exceptional circumstances a voluntary teaching placement may be acceptable.
- Evidence of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (previously CRB check)
The assessment on this course is continuous and based upon demonstrating evidence of meeting the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers in Education and Training (ETF 2014). There are three aspects of assessment:
- Teaching practice: Assessed through observation of teaching practice to include 8 successful observations and the development of a teaching practice portfolio.
- Coursework assignments: You will complete a variety of assignments including academic essays, presentations both poster presentations and group presentations.
- Professionalism: Assessed through participation in class activities, performance in teaching and professional attitude. This includes evidence that you are meeting professional standards.
The University of Central Lancashire and an external examiner moderate each course.
On achieving the Certificate in Education, trainee teachers will be able to begin the process of achieving Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS). Please see the following website for further information on QTLS:
Application process: Upon application you will be asked to complete the UCLan application form and provide a CV at interview.
Placements: There are a limited number of placements within the College and these are allocated through a curriculum interview to assess the suitability of your qualifications and experience which should be in line with department needs. Placement within the college cannot be guaranteed and as such early applications are recommended. External placements may be suitable and staff will do what they can to assist you with finding other placements, these will need to be checked for suitability.
At the end of the course you will have 120 credits at undergraduate level and can progress onto Combined Honours programmes or BA in Education via the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Framework at the University of Central Lancashire.
While it is not a school teaching qualification there may be employment opportunities in some schools for Certificate of Education holders, particularly for teachers of vocational subjects. Once you have graduated you can apply for QTLS status.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £7790.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21. Find out more about student loans for Higher Education Programmes.
Course information correct at 18.02.20
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form