Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course, awarded by the University of Central Lancashire, is a level 5 qualification and is designed for those who intend to take on a full teaching role, having responsibility for students throughout the learning process and engaging in teaching at a range of academic levels.
This Teacher Training qualification is taught at our multi-million pound Twelve Quays campus in Birkenhead.
The Certificate in Education, awarded by the University of Central Lancashire, is primarily for those who want to teach in Further Education and sixth form. The aim of the course is to prepare trainees to teach in a range of contexts in the Further Education and Skills sector. Trainees are expected to attend a placement that includes at least 150 teaching hours as well as other department duties such as taking part in meetings, answering queries, and planning and preparation for classes. You will be in placement for 2 — 2.5 days a week.
There are 6 units across 2 stages. Stage One runs from September to January and Stage Two from January to June. The modules are as follows:
- Preparation for Education and Training (Level 4)
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 4)
- Curriculum Design and Assessment (Level 5)
- Action Research: An Action Research Approach (Level 5)
- Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment (Level 6)
- Wider Perspectives in Education and Training (Level 5)
Students are given their timetable of study and assessment calendar in their course handbook on enrolling.
- 5 GCSEs at C/4 and above or equivalent as a minimum qualification, to include English
- To be operating at level 2 in English and maths
- A level 3 qualification in your teaching subject specialism
- The ability to communicate fluently, accurately and effectively in professional spoken English
- A teaching or training placement for a minimum of 150 hours of teaching. Under exceptional circumstances a voluntary teaching placement may be acceptable.
- Evidence of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (previously CRB check)
The assessment on this course is continuous and based upon demonstrating evidence of meeting the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers in Education and Training (ETF 2014). There are three aspects of assessment:
- Teaching practice: Assessed through observation of teaching practice to include 8 successful observations and the development of a teaching practice portfolio.
- Coursework assignments: You will complete a variety of assignments including academic essays, presentations both poster presentations and group presentations.
- Professionalism: Assessed through participation in class activities, performance in teaching and professional attitude. This includes evidence that you are meeting professional standards.
The University of Central Lancashire and an external examiner moderate each course.
Application process: Upon application you will be asked to complete the UCLan application form and provide a CV at interview.
Placements: There are a limited number of placements within the College and these are allocated through a curriculum interview to assess the suitability of your qualifications and experience which should be in line with department needs. Placement within the college cannot be guaranteed and as such early applications are recommended. External placements may be suitable and staff will do what they can to assist you with finding other placements, these will need to be checked for suitability.
Additional costs to the course include:
While this qualification is not a school teaching qualification there may be employment opportunities in some schools, particularly for teachers of vocational subjects.
On achieving this qualification, trainee teachers will be able to begin the process of achieving Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS). Please see the following website for further information on QTLS: Gaining QTLS
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
|Tuesday||09:00 — 17:00||Online|
|Thursday||13:00 — 17:00||12 Quays Main Building|
|Thursday||09:00 — 12:00||Online|
|Friday||09:00 — 16:00||Online|
If you are aged 19 or over:
Please note, this fee is the cost per year. For Higher Education (HE) courses, student loans are available to most students undertaking a degree, foundation degree, HNC / HND or teacher training programme. Visit https://www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance for details.
Fee : £7790.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 21/22. Find out more about student loans for Higher Education Programmes.
Course information correct at 06.12.21
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form