Or Contact Student Services for Details
CELTA is a professional teaching qualification leading directly to employment in the UK or overseas. The Award in Education and Training course is essential if you wish to teach in the public sector in the UK now or in the future. CELTA is the most prestigious initial teaching qualification for those who wish to work overseas.
CELTA is taught at our Conway Park campus in Birkenhead.
The course includes the following subjects:
- Language awareness - grammar, pronunciation and terminology
- Adult learning processes and motivation
- The principles of lesson planning and evaluation and syllabus design
- The selection and evaluation of appropriate materials and resources
- Assessment of students' needs, advice and support
- Working in an FE context
- Classroom management skills
- Teaching methodologies and principles
- Self-assessment and professional development.
- Over 20 years of age
- Be educated to A level standard (or an equivalent)
- Demonstrate sufficient levels of written and spoken English
- Demonstrate the potential to become a language teacher
The main assessment is based on six hours of observed teaching practice at least two different levels. There are 10 teaching practice sessions during the course. Final grades are based on teaching practice sessions only.
There are 4 written assignments for CELTA of approximately 1,000 words each
Apply online and you will be sent an application and assessment task; from that assessment task a short list will be made for interviews. We intend to confirm places at least 2 weeks before each course begins but late applications may be considered up till the start of the course. During the interview there will be group tasks as well as an individual interview time - it is a competitive process and not 'first come first served'.
Although employment can be gained in the private sector and overseas, in the FE sector, further specialist teacher training must be undertaken in-service. This includes a DTLLS and the L5 ESOL Subject Specifications which can be taken as an 'Additional Diploma' through a variety of awarding bodies including Cambridge or Trinity.
After 2 years teaching experience the DELTA can be undertaken and this is the best qualification for those who wish to work mainly in the private sector or overseas.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
Starting 8th November 2022 - Ending - 21st March 2023
|Tuesday||09:00 — 12:00||Conway Park|
If you are aged 19 or over:
There are no discounts for this course, however an Advanced Learner Loan is available.
Fee : £1250.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form