Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
The course has been designed to prepare you for a career in sport, sports development and sports coaching. All aspects of the course will be delivered with an emphasis on Football.
Wirral Met College Football Development Centre combines this qualification with practical skills and technical/tactical development, coaching and the option of competitive or recreational weekly football fixtures depending on ability. You will study the following:
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology in Football
- The Physiology of Fitness in Football
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training & Programming for Elite Footballers
- Fitness Testing for Professional Footballers
- Football Coaching
- Practical Team Sports
- Nutritional requirements & Lifestyle of a Footballer
- Instructing physical activity & Exercise
- Psychology in Football
- Work Experience
- Technical & Tactical requirements for Football
- Current issues in Football
Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
A relevant Level 2 Diploma or 4 GCSEs graded 4 or above (grade A*-C), preferably including English and maths.
You should have a keen interest in football and want to pursue a career in leading sport and active leisure activities.
Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
To learn effectively on your course you will need to use certain items of equipment and undertake particular activities as part of your studies. To further enhance your learning experience the following will be required: Uniform £100 Educational Visits £50 If you need support with these costs, don't worry, click on the link below and complete a bursary application form. https://www.wmc.ac.uk/student-support/financial-support/bursaries-loans Equipment purchased will be yours to keep and you will be able to use them for practice at home and in your future career. N.B. prices correct as of 23/06/2021
The course is assessed using a combination of practical and assignment based methods.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
You will take part in a variety of activities as part of the course, examples of these include:
- College Football Development Centre representation in The Merseyside Schools & College's League (depending on playing ability)
- Opportunities to play against professional football academies
- Opportunity to gain your FA Level 1 Certificate in Coaching
- Coach mentoring scheme through Dame Kelly Holmes Foundation
- Intra-college competitions
- Manchester City FC stadium tour
- National Football Museum visit
- Residential visit to London including a visit to Arsenal FC for a festival of football and stadium tours of Emirates and Wembley stadiums
- Training session at The FA's national football centre St George's Park (training facility of the England national squad)
- Adventurous activities which may include gorge walking, abseiling, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking.
- Planning and leading sports coaching sessions to local primary school children.
- Work experience placements
At the end of the course you could progress to higher education, university, football scholarships, employment in the sports and fitness industry.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
|Monday||11:00 — 16:00||Oval Campus|
|Tuesday||10:00 — 17:00||Oval Campus|
|Thursday||09:00 — 16:00||Oval Campus|
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme is free for students, who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, and students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
If you are aged 19+ and living in the Liverpool City Region (inc Wirral), many courses will be free. If you are aged 19+ and live outside the Liverpool City Region, this course may be free. Terms & conditions apply.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £2200.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form