Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed for aspiring sports scientists who wish to pursue a career within the exciting world of sport, performance and excellence or for those wishing to progress onto university to study sport and exercise science at degree level. Sport and exercise science is the application of scientific principles to sport and exercise, achieved through one of the following three branches of science:
- Biomechanics - an examination of the causes and consequences of human movement.
- Physiology - concerned with the way that the body responds to exercise and training.
- Psychology - seeks to provide answers to questions about human behaviour in sport and exercise settings.
Students entering the College are taught first to understand and then challenge and enhance existing theory, research and practice aligned to, or influenced by, sport, physical activity, exercise and health.
Areas of study may include:
- Functional Anatomy
- Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Coaching for performance and fitness
- Specialised Fitness Training
- Applied Research methods
- Sociocultural Issues in Sport & Exercise Science
- Priority will be given to students aged 16-18 years old.
- A relevant Level 2 qualification or four GCSEs grades 9-4 (grade A* - C), preferably including English, maths and a science subject. It may be possible to complete English or maths if you don't already have both GCSE grade 4 or above.
- You will need the ability to carry out physically demanding practical work.
- Satisfactory assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
To learn effectively on your course you will need to use certain items of equipment and undertake particular activities as part of your studies. To further enhance your learning experience the following will be required: Uniform £100 Educational Visits £50 If you need support with these costs, don't worry, click on the link below and complete a bursary application form. https://www.wmc.ac.uk/student-support/financial-support/bursaries-loans Equipment purchased will be yours to keep and you will be able to use them for practice at home and in your future career. N.B. prices correct as of 23/06/2021
There will be continuous assessment by a variety of methods including assignments, projects, practical exercises, group work, presentations and external exams.
You will be required to contribute financially to some of the cost of
trips, visits and residentials, although these will be kept as low as possible.
More information will be given at interview.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- A few courses to study at university, are Sport and Exercise Science, Physiotherapy, Sports Journalism or Sports Coaching
- Young people taking their first step into a new career need the right blend of practical and academic skills to support them. We know that employers and Higher Education organisations are looking for higher skilled, job — ready individuals with a strong work ethic which you will achieve on the Sport & Exercise Science programme.
The natural progression is to transfer to the 2nd year Extended Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science. This will give you the chance of acquiring enough UCAS points to progress to higher education.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme is free for students, who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, and students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
If you are aged 19+ and living in the Liverpool City Region (inc Wirral), many courses will be free. If you are aged 19+ and live outside the Liverpool City Region, this course may be free. Terms & conditions apply.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £2800.00
This is a full level 3 course
The fee quoted is for the academic year 23/24.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form