Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed to meet the employment opportunities within the fast growing sport, leisure and outdoor industries. You will cover a range of skills and knowledge to develop your career in this industry or progression into Higher Education.
Areas of study may include
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Sports nutrition
- Fitness training and programming
- Principles and practice in outdoor adventure
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Skills for water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
Students will take part in a variety of activities, examples of these are: high ropes courses, rock-climbing, raft building, kayaking / canoeing, gorge walking, navigation, mountain craft and leadership, caving, scrambling and camping. During the year students will have the opportunity to take part in expeditions covering a range of activities and venues throughout different areas of the UK.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- A relevant Level 2 qualification or four GCSEs grades 9-4 (grade A* - C), preferably including English and maths.
- You will need the ability to carry out physically demanding practical work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Satisfactory interview, assessment, reference and/or school report.
All students will need to provide themselves with a good quality pair of walking boots, all other equipment can be provided, although students may prefer their own.
There will be continuous assessment by a variety of methods including assignments, projects, practical exercises, group work and presentations.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
Outdoor education requires hard work and enthusiasm in, at times, what can be very adverse conditions. All prospective students should be willing to take part in all activities in a variety of weather conditions and ensure that their personal fitness is of a standard that allows them to operate safely during the practical sessions.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
Starting 2nd September 2020 - Ending - 23rd June 2021
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £2600.00
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
|Monday||13:00 — 16:00||Oval Campus|
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form