Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed to meet the employment opportunities within the fast growing sport, leisure and outdoor industries. You will cover a range of skills and knowledge to develop your career in this industry or progression into Higher Education.
Areas of study may include
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Sports nutrition
- Fitness training and programming
- Principles and practice in outdoor adventure
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Equipment and facilities
- Leadership in sport
- Skills for water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Impact and sustainability
- Leading land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Organising sports events
- Work experience
- The care of children and young people in sport
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Leading water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Environmental education for outdoor adventure
- Alterative pursuits for outdoor
Priority will be given to students aged 16-18 yrs
A relevant Level 2 qualification or four GCSEs grades 9-4 (grade A* - C), preferably including English and maths.
You will need the ability to carry out physically demanding practical work in a variety of weather conditions.
Satisfactory interview, assessment and school report or reference.
All students will also complete compulsory Functional Skills qualifications alongside their main programme of study.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
All students will need to provide themselves with a good quality pair of walking boots, all other equipment can be provided, although students may prefer their own.
N.B. Outdoor education is not just a glamorous career; it requires hard work and enthusiasm in at times what can be very adverse conditions. All prospective students should be willing to take part in all activities in a variety of weather conditions and ensure that their personal fitness is of a standard that allows them to operate safely during the practical sessions.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
At the end of the course, you could progress to higher education or employment. Depending on your specialist units you could work in; the Fitness and Lifestyle Sector, Outdoor Activity Centres, Armed Forces or Public Services.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
Starting 2nd September 2020 - Ending - 23rd June 2021
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £1050.00
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification.
This is a full level 3 course
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form