Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
The course has been designed to prepare you for a career in sport, sports development and sports coaching. All aspects of the course will be delivered with an emphasis on Football.
Wirral Met College Football Development Centre combines this qualification with practical skills and technical/tactical development, coaching and the option of competitive or recreational weekly football fixtures depending on ability. You will study the following:
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology in Football
- The Physiology of Fitness in Football
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training & Programming for Elite Footballers
- Fitness Testing for Professional Footballers
- Football Coaching
- Practical Team Sports
- Nutritional requirements & Lifestyle of a Footballer
- Instructing physical activity & Exercise
- Psychology in Football
- Work Experience
- Technical & Tactical requirements for Football
- Current issues in Football
Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
A relevant Level 2 Diploma or 4 GCSEs graded A* - C (grade 4 or above), preferably including English and maths.
You should have a keen interest in football and aspire to pursuing a career in leading sport and active leisure activities.
You will be invited for a practical assessment to determine your current football level.
Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department - 0151 551 7144.
All students will be expected to purchase and maintain a course kit which would consist of: tracksuit, polo shirt, rain jacket, training T-shirt, shorts and football socks. There will also be costs associated with trips. These will be discussed during your interview.
Due to the nature of the course, the practical aspects will take part on grass, 3G Astroturf, sports hall and fitness suite. All students will need to provide themselves with appropriate footwear for all surfaces as well as shin guards.
The course is assessed using a combination of practical and assignment based methods.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
You will take part in a variety of activities as part of the course, examples of these include:
- College Football Development Centre representation in The Merseyside Schools & College's League (depending on playing ability)
- Opportunities to play against professional football academies
- Opportunity to gain your FA Level 1 Certificate in Coaching
- Coach mentoring scheme through Dame Kelly Holmes Foundation
- Intra-college competitions
- Manchester City FC stadium tour
- National Football Museum visit
- Residential visit to London including a visit to Arsenal FC for a festival of football and stadium tours of Emirates and Wembley stadiums
- Training session at The FA's national football centre St George's Park (training facility of the England national squad)
- Adventurous activities which may include gorge walking, abseiling, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking.
- Planning and leading sports coaching sessions to local primary school children.
- Work experience placements
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths (or Grade 4 or above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
At the end of the course you could progress to higher education, university, football scholarships, employment in the sports and fitness industry.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £2420.00
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2019-20.
|Monday||09:00 — 16:30||Oval Campus|
|Tuesday||10:00 — 15:00||Oval Campus|
|Thursday||10:00 — 16:00||Oval Campus|
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).