Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is designed to meet the employment opportunities within the sport, leisure and outdoor industries. You will cover a range of skills and knowledge to develop your career in this industry or progression into Higher Education.
Areas of study may include
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Sports nutrition
- Fitness training and programming
- Principles and practice in outdoor adventure
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Equipment and facilities
- Leadership in sport
- Skills for water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Impact and sustainability
- Leading land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Organising sports events
- Work experience
- The care of children and young people in sport
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Leading water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Environmental education for outdoor adventure
- Alterative pursuits for outdoor
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- A relevant Level 2 qualification or four GCSEs grades 9-4 (grade A* - C), preferably including English and maths.
- You will need the ability to carry out physically demanding practical work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Satisfactory interview, assessment, reference and/or school report.
All students will need to provide themselves with a good quality pair of walking boots, all other equipment can be provided, although students may prefer their own.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
Outdoor education requires hard work and enthusiasm in at times what can be very adverse conditions. All prospective students should be willing to take part in all activities in a variety of weather conditions and ensure that their personal fitness is of a standard that allows them to operate safely during the practical sessions.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
At the end of the course, you could progress to higher education or employment. Depending on your specialist units you could work in; the Fitness and Lifestyle Sector, Outdoor Activity Centres, Armed Forces or Public Services.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £4200.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification.
This is a full level 3 course
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).