Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This practical, work-related course will provide you with a solid foundation in various aspects of medical science, biology and physics. This course is one of the recommended pathways for those seeking a career in nursing.
The course is made up of 9 units. Core units include:
- Fundamentals of Science
- Working in the Science Industry
- Scientific Investigations
- Scientific Practical Techniques
- Using Mathematical Tools in Science (half unit)
Optional units (chosen from the list below to meet the needs of the majority of learners)
- Mathematical Calculations for Science (half unit)
- Using Statistics in Science (half unit)
- Using Science in the Workplace
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques
- Energy Changes, Sources and Applications
- Microbiological Techniques
- Chemistry for Biology Technicians
- Electrical Circuits and their Industrial Applications
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Biomedical Science Techniques
- Chemical Laboratory Techniques
- Physiological Investigations
- Diseases and Infections
Priority will be given to applicants who are aged 16-18 years old.
4 GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*-C), including English Language, Maths and two Science GCSEs.
Relevant Level 2 qualification at merit or distinction and English Language and Maths at grade 9-4 (A*-C).
Satisfactory interview, assessment and school report or reference.
Assessment is mainly by assignment.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (or Grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
- BTEC Applied Science Extended Diploma.
- Entry into laboratory, technical, scientific or other employment
- Progression to an advanced apprenticeship or higher level apprenticeship in a medical or laboratory environment If the Extended Diploma in Applied Science is completed then:
- Entry to university study for a degree in, for example, biomedical science biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, biology, education, nursing, zoology or radiography
- Entry to Wirral Metropolitan College's HNC or HND Diplomas in Applied Biology / Foundation Degree in Chemistry
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
Starting 1st September 2021 - Ending - 24th June 2022
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £4200.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification.
This is a full level 3 course
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form