Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This is a vocational course with an end point assessment for both practical and theoretical aspects, which incorporates various elements within the specific specialist areas of food preparation and cooking,providing you with an excellent foundation for your career within the catering industry. You will gain valuable practical experience working in the training kitchens and front of house areas within the college, situated at the Conway park Campus.
If you are hoping to pursue a career in the kitchen, you will learn about cooking, culinary art and culinary techniques from around the world.
This qualification covers the knowledge and skills you will need to progress to further learning and training, or to enter work as a professional chef. You will learn many of the techniques used in professional cookery, including:
- boiling, poaching and steaming
- stewing and braising
- baking, roasting and grilling
- deep frying and shallow frying
- cold food preparation.
You will also learn:
- the structure of professional kitchens and the principles of working as a professional chef
- how knives, tools and equipment are used in professional kitchens
- how to work safely and hygienically.
- Priority will be given to 16-18s
- Relevant Level 1 qualification or minimum of 3 GCSEs at Grade 3/D or above.
- Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or reference.
- If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Purchase of uniform and knife set required.
The course is assessed by an external examination, which is to assess your breadth of knowledge and a synoptic test, which will assess your practical skills, theories and concepts.
The catering industry is one of the world's fastest growing, job creating professions. With over 1.8 million employees it offers one of the most diverse ranges of employment opportunities anywhere. At Wirral Met College we use exceptional facilities and industry professionals to create high standards and inspire learners to become the next celebrity chef.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
This course is FREE if you are aged 19+, unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits or in work earning less than £17,550 annual gross salary (or £9/hour), and you do not have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2019-20.
|Monday||10:30 — 14:00||Conway Park|
|Tuesday||09:00 — 16:30||Conway Park|
|Thursday||15:00 — 21:00||Conway Park|
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).