Or Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
If you want to gain employment in this exciting industry this course will provide you with basic skills in ladies hairdressing. You will spend most of your week in our Hairdressing Salons working on models and clients and on completion you may be able to progress to NVQ level 3.
The course will include the underpinning knowledge and skills to enable you to:
- Shampoo and condition the hair & scalp
- Use various cutting techniques
- Use various setting techniques including pin curls & rollers
- Use various blow-dries including curly, straight, above & below shoulder length hair
- Use various hair colouring techniques including full head application and foils
Related skills and the required knowledge will also be studied including:
- Promoting products & services
- Reception studies
- Client care
- Team work
- Creating a positive impression
During the course you will be expected to attend National shows and exhibitions where you can see demonstrations by some of the countries leading Hairdressers. Once a year we hold a college show and you will be expected to participate.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- Relevant Level 1 qualification or minimum of 3 GCSEs at Grade 3/D or above including English Language.
- You need to have a genuine interest in Hairdressing as a long term career.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and in a group as part of a discussion.
- You must be prepared to give and receive treatments to/from other students on your course.
- You need the skills for fine work such as applying colours, cutting and styling hair.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
You will need to provide your own uniform in line with the College uniform policy (approximately £40). We highly recommend that you purchase a kit to allow you to practise your skills (approximatley £125).
Assessments continue throughout the course. Practical assessment tests are carried out and written assignments are completed. In addition there are VTCT Tests.
An early application is recommended for this course.
- During your interview you will take a skills test to allow us to assess your dexterity. All applicants will need to provide a reference or school report at interview.
- Technical language will be taught on the course. You will need to produce written assignments.
- Maths skills are required as you will need to be able to measure colouring products and time treatments.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
This profession and course requires you to be able to carry out physical work for long periods of time. Reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate disabilities.
- Employment prospects include working as a stylist in hairdressing salons in the UK and abroad, on cruise liners, in theatre, films and television.
- Further Education opportunities include progression onto NVQ Level 3 Hairdressing.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £1275.00
This course is FREE if you are aged 19+, unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits or in work earning less than £17,550 annual gross salary (or £9/hour), and you do not have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2019-20.
|Wednesday||10:30 — 14:00||Conway Park|
|Thursday||12:00 — 14:00||Conway Park|
|Friday||09:00 — 13:30||Conway Park|
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).