Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is for those who want to pursue a career in the fast growing barbering industry.
You will study Gents Hairdressing using different barbering techniques.
The course will include the underpinning knowledge and skills to enable you to become a competent barber. This will include:
- Health and safety
- Working in the hair industry
- Client consultation
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Cut men's hair
- Cutting facial hair, beards and moustaches
- Styling men's hair
- Colour hair using temporary colour
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Display stock to promote sales in a salon
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Working with others in the hair and beauty sector
- The art of colouring hair
If your salon employs staff who hold an assessor's qualification you may also be able to achieve assessments in the industry. During the course you may be given the opportunity to attend national shows and exhibitions where you can see demonstrations by some of the country's leading Barbers. Once a year we hold a College show and you may be expected to participate.
- Level 1 qualification in a relevant subject area, minimum of 3 GCSEs at Grade 3/D and above or an assessment of individual skills and experience may be considered for some applicants.
- Although not essential, we highly recommend a placement in a barbers of at least one day per week and have a genuine interest in Barbering.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and in a group as part of a discussion.
- Satisfactory interview and assessment.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Office use only. Non Standard 27.
This cost of equipment covers approximately £20 for uniform and £184.99 as of 2018 for barbering equipment. If you already own suitable equipment you may not need to purchase this.
Assessments continue throughout the course. Practical assessment tests are carried out and written assignments. In addition there are VTCT End Tests.
- You will need math skills to be able to measure products and work within timings.
- Technical language will be taught on the course.
- You will be expected to provide your own models on a weekly basis from approximately October in order to achieve the looks required for this qualification, this will be discussed further during interview.
This profession and course require you to be able to carry out physical work for long periods of time. Reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate disabilities.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £1350.00
This course is FREE if you are aged 19+, unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits or in work earning less than £17,550 annual gross salary (or £9/hour), and you do not have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2019-20.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 to 4pm and Wednesdays 4 to 6.30pm (term time only).