Or Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
If you want to gain employment in this exciting industry this course will provide you with the necessary skills in women's hairdressing. You will spend most of your week in our Hairdressing Salons working on models and clients and on completion you may be able to progress onto level 3. Please note that it is mandatory to complete awarding body COVID19 qualifications whilst studying a VTCT course. The exam registration fee is approximately £20.
The course will include the underpinning knowledge and skills to enable you to:
- Shampoo and condition the hair & scalp
- Various cutting techniques
- Various setting techniques including pin curls & rollers
- Various blowdries including curly, straight, above & below shoulder length hair
- Various hair colouring techniques including full head application and foils
Related skills and the required knowledge will also be studied including:
- Client care
- Team work
- Creating a positive impression
During the course you will be expected to attend National shows and exhibitions where you can see demonstrations by some of the countries leading Hairdressers. Once a year we hold a college show and you will be expected to participate.
- Relevant level 1 qualification in Hairdressing.
- You need to have a genuine interest in Hairdressing as a long term career.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and in a group as part of a discussion.
- You need the skills for fine work such as applying colours, cutting and styling hair.
- Satisfactory interview and assessment.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Office use only. Non Standard 21.2.
You will need to wear a uniform, which consists of black tailored trousers (no leggings or jeans) and a black branded T-shirt. The T Shirt with white hairdressing branding on the back is £6.50. You must wear all black closed in shoes.Y ou will also be required to buy a kit so you can practice your skills at home. The kit contains all you will need including a PPE apron at a cost of £218.47. This includes delivery to your home address. This will be discussed at interview. Equipment may already be purchased whilst studying Level 1.
Assessments continue throughout the course. Practical assessment tests are carried out and written assignments are completed. In addition there are VTCT Tests.
An early application is recommended for this course. You can attend either in the day or evening.
- During your interview you will take a skills test to allow us to assess your dexterity. All applicants will need to provide a reference .
- Technical language will be taught on the course. You will need to produce written assignments.
- Maths skills are required as you will need to be able to measure colouring products and time treatments.
- You will be expected to work under pressure and to stand for periods of time.
- Employment prospects include working as a stylist in hairdressing salons in the UK and abroad, on cruise liners, in theatre, films and television.
- Further Education opportunities include progression onto Level 3 in women's Hairdressing.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
If you are aged 19 or over:
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £1275.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 23/24.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form