Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
If you want to develop engineering skills for industrial or non industrial fields such as manufacturing or maintenance engineering then this is the course for you. You will be introduced to a range of skills to help get you started in the industry.
This course will enable you to study a wide range of skills, all of which will help you on your chosen career pathway, moving into employment or further training. You will get the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocational qualification linked to your chosen career. Also, this course will help you to improve your maths, English and ICT, plus develop the personal and social skills which employers look for. You will be given support and guidance throughout your learning journey and your progress will be reviewed with you regularly. PEO 1 Compulsory Units:
- Working safely in an engineering environment
- Developing yourself and working with other people on engineering activities
- Using and communicating technical information
Optional Units - Two units from a choice:
- Making components using hand tools and fitting techniques
- Using lathes for turning operations
- Manual Metal Arc Welding
- Sheet Metal Work
- Introduction into working in engineering
Optional Units - Four units:
- Machining engineering materials
- Cutting and forming engineering materials
- Joining engineering materials
- Cutting and forming pipework
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Protective overalls and steel toe capped footwear. Lever arch file pens, pencils and paper etc.
Students are assessed through portfolio of work both practical and theoretical.
Students need the maturity, independence and motivation to attend college regularly and on time, participate to the best of their ability and behave in a responsible manner.
The course has a large element of workshop activity.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C or Grade 4 and above in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
This is a recognised industry based award and as such provides students with knowledge and skills at the level which employers recognise as important to the industry.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £480.00
This course is FREE if you are aged 19+, unemployed/in receipt of eligible benefits or in work earning less than £17,550 annual gross salary (or £9/hour), and you do not have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form