Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
The qualification is designed to engage and motivate 16-18 year olds who are interested in learning about the maintenance and repair of motor vehicles. The qualifications' combination of mandatory and optional units provide students with the flexibility of achieving and progressing in small manageable steps. This qualification is aimed at 16-18 year olds who prefer and respond to 'hands-on' learning.
This Diploma is ideal for you if you wish to develop your experience in the motor vehicle industry.
Once you have achieved the diploma, it will support you to progress to a Level 2 Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ), apprenticeship or employment.
Sample of units covered
- Health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance
- Automotive foundation skills
- Tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
- Skills in materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- Spark ignition engine systems, components and operation
- Compression ignition engine systems, components and operation
- Steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance
A relevant Entry Level qualification or three GCSEs at Grade 2/E or above.
Satisfactory interview, assessment and school report or reference.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Appropriate safety equipment is required including protective overalls and steel toe capped boots.
Assessments consist of various combinations of practical and written tasks, by assessor observation and questioning. You will also need to pass a series of online tests.
Students may be able to fast track to level 2 after term 1, dependent on individual progress.
Students need the maturity, independence and motivation to attend college regularly and on time, participate to the best of their ability and behave in a responsible manner.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C or Grade 4 or above in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
- Level 2 Fast Fit
- Level 2 Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (VMR)
- Employment within the industry
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form