Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
The Diploma is ideal for you if you are 16-18 and wish to develop experience in a variety of motor industry sectors, at a level suiting your ability. The inclusion of Level 1 optional units also allows you the opportunity to progress to a higher level of IMI Awards qualification.
All students registered on these qualifications must successfully complete the on-line test for EL02, set by IMI Awards. Entry level Units
- EL01 Introduction to Motor Vehicle Workshop Safety
- ELO2 Introduction to Retail Automotive Maintenance and Repair
- ELO3 Introduction to Workshop Tools and Equipment
- EL04 Principles of Engine Component and Operation
- EL05 Principles of Light Vehicle Steering and Suspension
- EL07 Principles of Component Fitting
- EL08 Routine Cooling and Lubrication Checks
- EL09 Routine Braking System Checks
- EL10 Routine Wheel and Tyre Checks
- EL11 Routine Vehicle Checks
- EL12 Basic Vehicle Valeting
- EL13 Light Vehicle Construction
- L111 Vehicle Driveline Maintenance
- L112 Spark Ignition System Maintenance
- L114 Vehicle Lighting System Maintenance
- L119 Introduction to Spark Ignition Systems
- L108 Routine Vehicle Maintenance Processes and Procedures on Vehicles (4 wheels or more)
There are no formal entry qualifications.
Satisfactory interview, assessment and school report or reference.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Appropriate safety equipment is required including protective overalls and steel toe capped boots.
The majority of the tasks within the assessments will be assessed via observation and questioning. Units contain short student worksheets for students to complete independently. All students registered on these qualifications must successfully complete the on-line test for EL02, set by IMI Awards.
Information Technology - basic computer literacy would be an advantage but not essential.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C or Grade 4 or above in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
Level 1 Motor Vehicle Engineering
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
Starting 1st September 2020 - Ending - 25th June 2021
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2020-21.
|Tuesday||10:00 — 16:30||12 Quays|
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form