Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This qualification prepares learners for Higher Education or appropriate direct employment in the vocational sector and is suitable for those who have decided that they clearly wish to enter a particular specialist area of work. It is broadly equivalent to three GCE A Levels.
The course is made up of:
- Health and Safety in the Engineering Workplace
- Communications for Engineering Technicians
- Engineering Project
- Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
- Mechanical Principles and Applications
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
Optional units (chosen from the list below to meet the needs of the majority of learners):
- Computer Aided Drafting in Engineering
- Selection and Using Programmable Controllers
- Applications of Thermodynamics Systems
- Electronic Fault-finding
- Electronic Devices
- Further Electrical Principles
- Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
Relevant Level 2 or 4 GCSEs at Grade 9-4 or A*-C
Grade 9-4/A*-C GCSE in Maths (ideally a Grade 5 in GCSE Maths).
Satisfactory interview, assessment, school report and/or satisfactory reference.
Scientific calculator and your own stationary
You will be assessed through internal and external assessments.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths (Grade 4 or above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
Enter a specialist area of employment or progress to HNC or a degree or other professional development programme.
Explore potential careers via Career Coach, it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form