Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This course is suitable for anyone wanting a career in carpentry and joinery.
This course is delivered by expert tutors and industry specialists, ensuring that the skills you learn are up to date and in demand by the construction industry.
You will develop your knowledge of concepts, theories and core skills relevant to Onsite Construction sector. You will learn about design, health and safety, construction methods, building regulations and standards, the construction industry and its role in the economy.
You will also study the specialism of Carpentry and Joinery.
During the 2-year programme you will develop the core knowledge and skills that are needed for entry to a range of on site construction trades.
- Health & Safety practices associated with carrying out construction work
- The science behind building design, surveying and planning
- Making accurate and appropriate measurements
- The construction industry, careers within it and its role in the economy
- Sustainability and the environmental impact of construction
- Construction design principles, methods, and processes
- Using maths to solve construction problems
- How the Internet of Things (IoT) impacts construction
- Data management and information standards in construction digital engineering techniques
- Business, commerce and corporate social responsibility
- Tools, equipment and materials used in construction work
- Legislation, regulations and approved standards that apply to the construction industry
Carpentry & Joinery Components:
- Design and make a gothic arch window — Include shadow and capillary groove
- Construct a lean- to roof and dormer
On this course you will:
- Study a core content that will develop your knowledge of concepts, theories and core skills relevant to Onsite Construction sector. You will learn about design, health and safety, construction methods, building regulations and standards, the construction industry and its role in the economy
- Study specialist occupationally specific content, for example, tools, equipment and materials, bricklaying, carpentry and joinery, painting and decorating
- Undertake an industry placement with an employer to develop skills and behaviours. Your placement will last for a minimum of 315 hours
- Develop your English, Maths and digital skills as appropriate for the occupation
The industry placement is at the heart of your T-Level.
This is a Study Programme for those aged 16-18 years of age.
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A* - C/9 - 4, including English Language and Maths.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Steel toe capped boots are required for this course.
You will be assessed through external assessments, practical assignments and an employer set project.
A key component of this course is an extended work experience placement, totalling a minimum of 9 weeks over the two year programme. Wirral Met have excellent links with employers within the construction sector and will work with you to find the right placement for you.
Students who achieve this qualification can progress either on to a university, a higher level apprenticeship, or employment.
Career options might include becoming an advanced site carpenter or joiner, or a construction assembly and installation operative.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
Starting 5th September 2022 - Ending - 28th June 2024
|Monday||09:00 — 15:00||Wirral Waters|
|Wednesday||09:00 — 12:00||Wirral Waters|
|Thursday||13:00 — 16:00||Wirral Waters|
|Friday||09:00 — 15:00||Wirral Waters|
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme is free for students, who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, and students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form