The Intermediate Level Apprenticeship in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools is designed for learning support staff whose responsibilities at work are closely supervised. Working under the direction of a teacher, contribute to preparing the classroom for learning activities; working with groups of, and individual pupils, who require extra support.
The Apprentice framework includes the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Level 2 Functional Skill English
- Level 1 Functional Skill maths
- Level 1 Functional Skill ICT
- Employer Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
The mandatory units on the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools are:
- Child and young person development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
- Help improve own and team practice in schools
- Maintain and support relationships with children and young people
- Support children and young people's health and safety
- Support children and young people's positive behaviour
- Support learning activities
- Schools as organisations
Apprentices must be in paid employment of at least 30 hours per week. Apprenticeships where the apprentice is working and studying for less than 30 hours per week are by exception only. In any circumstances the apprentice must not work for less than 16 hours per week. Please note that all candidates are subject to a DBS (Disclosing and Barring Service) check. You must have an interest in, and commitment to, working and relating well with children, young people and adults. Be able to reflect on your own practice, learn and apply that learning in the workplace. Have the ability to work as a member of a team and communicate effectively with a range of people.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools for those who have the potential and opportunity to work at this level
- Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Level 2 qualifications in Children's Care, Learning and Development, Playwork or Youth work for those wishing to transfer to other areas working with children and young people
Employment opportunities exist within primary, special and secondary schools in both the state and independent sectors. There will be increasing opportunities for apprentices to take on a wider range of responsibilities. Opportunities also exist to move into other roles across the wider children's workforce e.g. child care, play work or youth work.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 01st Aug 2018 - Ends 29th Jul 2020
Please contact Employer Services team on 0151 551 7610.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 23rd June, 2018 and may be subject to change.