Teaching assistants assist teachers with their day-to-day classroom work and with routine administrative tasks.
- Assists teacher with preparation or clearing up of classroom
- Looks after lesson materials such as paper, pencils and crayons
- Listens to children read, reads to them or tells stories
- Assists children with washing or dressing for outdoor and similar activities
- Makes simple teaching aids and constructs thematic displays of educational material or children’s work
- Helps with outings and other out-of-classroom activities.
Academic qualifications may be required by some employers, although entry is possible with relevant experience (possibly on a voluntary basis) alone. An NVQ Level 2 qualification is available. CRB clearance is mandatory.